Friday, July 11, 2008

A View From The Wings

I often wonder why I ever chose theatre, namely, stage management as a career path. As a recent college graduate I am quickly learning this business is difficult. There is little money, there is little certainty of employment and there is little stability. But then, there is always that moment...

An adreniline rush, butterflies fluttering in my stomach and a smile to myself backstage when I realize I am actively making my dreams come true. It is in that moment when I realize that stage managers and theatre technicians are magicians! Although we are unseen by the audience, we have the power to help them believe the unbelievable!

This moment was tonight just as the house lights went out. This moment happens in an instant and if I don't pause right then and there to take stock of and relish in the fire and passion I have for my work...I may never be able to recall it at the moment I wished I "had been a business major instead."



Julie*

1 comment:

Jodi Schoenbrun Carter said...

Julie -

Talk to me more about the magic. What does it look like from your side? I totally understand the adreliline rush - I get it from watching the audience.

J

P.S. remind me to tell you the crazy ways I have heard about stage managers supporting themselves between gigs. My favorite is a wonderful PSM who worked the 5am shift at a bakery throughout most of the time she worked for me (and my theatre could only afford to pay her 400 bucks a week). Hint ask Cole about who it might be!