Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Arsenic!

Last night I went with my family to see the wonderful reading of Arsenic and Old Lace. This play is particularly dear to me because I did it in high school, so I already knew all of the comedic moments.... at least I thought so. This reading was the perfect example of a great script and great artists coming together and creating a masterpiece of theater. Even though there was no set, light changes, sound effects, and blocking the actors kept the audiences eyes and ears directly on them. And it is also so refreshing to see actors HAVING FUN! I know how easy it is to get caught up in the "drama" of theater... trust me.

Recently, I have been in some kind of funk. Losing my faith in the public and their interest in theater. Last night renewed my sense of security in the general public. THEY DO WANT TO SEE THEATER! Granted.... Christopher Walken has to be in the play...... but that's OK! People laughed, they were entertained, and they even made friends! Three or four different people around me were laughing and chatting with perfect strangers and even getting each others numbers too!

So... more about the evening! First off, I want to say.... Noble Shropshire is a genius! I want him to father my children! (OK not really...) When he and Chris Walken entered, his presence and simple facial expressions blew me away. Anne and Joanne looked like they've been Martha and Abby for years. (I mean that in the best way possible. I don't think they've been killing old men for years.....) Their friendship and love for this play carried the reading! I Just want to say kudos all around to this amazing reading! If only you could put it on as a full production with the same cast!

Holly

RING RING 3

Hey Bruce! Just checkin' in... Why are all of the other interns confused by the crazy Connecitcut drivers? Oh! And do you know where I could get a a giant foam middle finger? Thanks! Hey this guy totally cut me off! Talk to you soon!

No comments: