Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hold your own Know your own name And go your own way And everything will be fine

If I were to sum up my scenic painting internship in one word it would be: lonely.

I am not trying to be depressing or anything but honestly, I spend more time alone than with others. I have found this to be a blessing and a curse since I do work better alone but I thrive off of energy that other people bring to me.

Recently, I was faced with a huge challenge when the one person I do see was off contract from the playhouse for two weeks. My overnight calls were not as enjoyable without my supervisor, Liza. I had to really push myself to get everything done before I freaked out from being all alone in a theater late at night.
It is a good thing I love making art.

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to have the day off. I decided to use this time wisely and drive to Hartford, CT to wait in line for 8 hours for tickets to a Jason Mraz concert. I did not embark on this journey alone. Helen, Properties Intern, came along for the ride but stayed only a few hours since she had to go back to work. So there I was, in downtown Hartford outside of the Webster surrounded by strangers. I was, as per usual, all alone.

The concert was amazing and completely worth the long lonely wait. I was less than 10 feet away from Jason Mraz and could not stop smiling while he strummed on his guitar and sang for his hour long set.

I am looking forward to this evening in which Liza and I will continue to work on the set for Tryst. We have not been able to make much progress so far since the carpenters are still building...frustrating but at least I will not be working all alone.

Until next time...
-Kim-

1 comment:

Westport Interns 08 said...

:( <3s for you my dear! I hope we get another day off together where we both feel OK. Also, if Tryst happens like Scramble! did, I'll do some late-night painting with ya :).