Monday, July 14, 2008

Let's rap....

After last weeks meeting/forum with Annie and Jodi a certain question has been running through my mind…

Why don’t more young people come to the theater?

It’s hard for me to answer that question because for the past ten years of my life I’ve looked forward to seeing a good play or musical. I go to school where drama students can see regional theater productions for free. And we take advantage of that! The only time I ever encounter non-dramas seeing plays are when they are required or some sort of extra credit. Which leads me to ask… “Is Theater that boring?”

Do we need to have the set blow up in order to get people to see a play? People will shell out $10-$12 on movies with no substantial plot line or thought-provoking message as long as there’s nudity or fire. Maybe it could be the fact that theater is so expensive now. Some tickets cost over $135. However, it’s a trial to get people to see a high school production that is the same cost as a movie!

Now how do we change this? I am not entirely sure. I think the biggest problem is that the arts have been cut from many schools in the United States, so the exposure to the arts (especially theater) that would normally rope kids’ interest is no longer present. Should we make it more accessible to them outside of school? How do we do that? I don’t know yet.


Holly

1 comment:

Jodi Schoenbrun Carter said...

Holly -

You are 100% right about the schools. Price point is something we have been talking about a lot. Take a look at Signature Theatre Company in New York's $20 ticket price. I was there for the implementation. We should talk about it when I get back. I would like you to really think about pricing structures!

Miss you all.

Jodi