Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm on a high...

Do you know that feeling when you wake up and still feel the after-effects of what ever you did the night before? NO! I am not talking about being hung over! I woke up at 7 am, I suppose because my mind was restless, and all I could do was smile. The high I was on from the most amazing evening of theater I have ever been a part of was the best feeling in the world.

Every single one of these interns worked extremely hard on this showcase. Not because we had something to prove, but because we know that settling for anything less than our bests is a great disservice to all that we have learned at the Playhouse. There were many amazing moments that were a direct result of the evening: people laughed, people cried, our blogs were read by quite possibly the most intelligent, passionate women in theater, and Mark Shanahan knows my name now! But the most prolific, awe-inspiring result that came out of this evening: people were talking to each other about theater and WHY they love it and decided long ago that this was the right place for them. Mr. Shanahan put it best when he said that, “Sometimes it is so easy to forget WHY you love to do what you do. But when you remember, it makes all of the trials and tribulations that much more worth it.”

After the evening all of us interns had a little celebration. I had some of the best conversations, debates, and sing-a-longs I have ever had in my life. In my stupor, I suggested to Laura that we do “What’s the Question?” again and again and again. But she pointed out to me that the magic of that piece is those moments could never be recreated quite like they were that night. That piece in particular was wonderful and difficult, because we were forced to just be ourselves. To essentially be naked and be “okay” with telling people our hopes and fears. But because we were willing from the very beginning to throw our souls into the piece, I really did walk away from it saying, “WOW! We really made something there!”

Julie and I talked about the next steps and where do we go from here. I have two more years of training, but Julie has graduated. She is heading out into the real world. I told her, and I meant it, that she would change the world! I step back and look at that statement now and would like to say, “We (the interns of 08) will change the world!” I would work with every single one of you again and again!

Don’t ever stop doing what you LOVE to do! No matter how hard it is to feed yourself, pay the rent, or get the job at all. I am in this for the long run. Be bold, be brave! This is your art! This is your life!

Love Always,

Holly (finance intern)

I will be in London this coming semester and keeping up with the blog…. I hope you all do too!

1 comment:

Jodi Schoenbrun Carter said...

Holly, et all,

YOU WERE AMAZING and deserve to celebrate yourselves. I do believe you will help save the world.

I BEG you all to please keep the blogs up. I will if you will.